Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"That's what we're here for."

Physical beauty is what many people first think of when I tell them about this project. In the beginning, I was resistant to that aspect of beauty being a part of this work--muddling my lofty endeavors, but in my meanderings, I've found that's where my mind is at too. There's power and privilege and oppression and standards to think of when you talk of physical beauty. It's worthy. Plus, we're human beings.

Still there's more so much more. Beyond sex, there's the ethereal beauty of the universe. There's the beauty of peace and tranquility. There's the beauty of elegant design. And of course, there's the beauty of integrity, which, I'd like to think, runs through it all.

I'm working on a longer post now though, which is alas--no not alas, damn it--which is about the beauty of intimacy and dedication as experienced through the physical qualities of our bedfellows.

It's righteous and all to push ourselves beyond sex, but as a co-worker explained some months ago, "That's what we're here for."
photo credit unknown as per source

No comments: